site.btaAttempted Arson Attack Against Bistritsa Mayor Sparks Police Operation and Political Outcry
Authorities are investigating an attempted arson against the home and car of Samuil Popov, the mayor of the Sofia borough of Bistritsa, on Monday. The attack has triggered a major police operation and a wave of political reactions warning of threats to local government and democratic institutions.
The incident occurred shortly after 1:30 a.m. on Monday, when Popov’s car was set on fire and the front door of his house was also damaged. A large-scale police operation is under way in the area, with checkpoints, forensic work and multiple investigative lines being pursued, according to the Interior Ministry and the Sofia Directorate of Interior.
Sofia Mayor Vassil Terziev described the attack as unacceptable and called for an immediate, visible response from the state. He said the incident raised serious questions about the effectiveness of preventive measures, particularly given that Popov had previously filed reports about threats against him. Terziev stressed that attacks against elected local officials amount to attacks on democratic institutions and citizens’ right to representation, and urged authorities to identify both the perpetrators and any possible instigators.
The Chair of the Sofia Municipal Council, Tsvetomir Petrov, also strongly condemned the attack, saying that any form of violence or intimidation against elected local officials was unacceptable. He emphasized that assaults on mayors are not personal acts but attacks on institutions, local self-government and the democratic order. Political differences, he said, must be resolved through the law, dialogue and transparency, not through threats and fear. Petrov expressed full institutional support for Mayor Popov and said he expected the competent authorities to act swiftly and decisively to identify those responsible and apply the full force of the law.
The GERB - UDF group in the Sofia Municipal Council likewise issued a firm condemnation of the arson, calling it part of a troubling pattern rather than an isolated incident. In a statement published by group leader Anton Hekimyan, the group recalled a July 2025 incident in which masked men armed with clubs entered the Bistritsa mayor’s office, with no suspects identified to date. According to GERB - UDF, the recurrence of such incidents raises serious concerns about the lack of effective preventive mechanisms to protect public officials. The group warned against allowing violence to become a tool for political pressure and urged the Interior Ministry to carry out a swift, objective and thorough investigation.
The municipal council group of Continue the Change – Democratic Bulgaria (CC - DB) also demanded the rapid identification of those responsible. In a written position sent to the media, the group described the attack as absolutely unacceptable, stating that an assault on a mayor is an assault on the institution itself and on the right of residents to be represented freely and without fear. CC - DB characterized the arson as an attempt at intimidation and a direct challenge to local self-government, calling for an immediate, transparent and in-depth investigation that would establish not only the perpetrators but also any individuals who may have ordered the attack.
A strong-worded reaction came from the Yes, Bulgaria party, which declared full support for Mayor Popov and described the attackers as criminal figures attempting to intimidate local authorities. In a statement published on Facebook and signed by party co-chair Bozhidar Bozhanov, the party said it was outrageous for such an attack to take place in a European country. It accused the Interior Ministry of inaction following last year’s incident at the mayor’s office, suggesting this pointed to institutional protection for those seeking to intimidate Popov. According to the party, the erosion of state authority under pressure from corrupt political interests has created an environment in which perpetrators believe they can act with impunity.
Authorities have said investigative work remains active and all versions are being examined as the search for the perpetrators continues.
/NF/
news.modal.header
news.modal.text