site.btaBulgaria Tops EU Countries in Foreign Currency Debt

Bulgaria Tops EU Countries in Foreign Currency Debt
Bulgaria Tops EU Countries in Foreign Currency Debt
Central government gross debt by currency of issuance, 2023 (Eurostat Graphics)

Bulgaria holds the highest proportion of central government gross debt in foreign currency among EU countries, the statistical office of the European Union, Eurostat, announced on Friday. Data reveals that 75% of Bulgaria's government debt is in foreign currencies, while the remaining 25% is in the national currency.

Bulgaria leads in central government gross debt denominated in foreign currencies. Romania and Hungary rank second and third, with 51% and 30% share respectively.

Hungary reported the highest cost of government debt for 2023, standing at 6.8%. Poland and Romania followed at 4.5% each. Luxembourg had the lowest rate at 1.2%, while the Netherlands and Germany at 1.4% each. Bulgaria's government debt carries an average interest rate of 2.4%, ranking it as the eighth highest in terms of debt cost.

/RY/

news.modal.header

news.modal.text

By 22:17 on 14.07.2024 Today`s news

This website uses cookies. By accepting cookies you can enjoy a better experience while browsing pages.

Accept More information