Eurobarometer

site.btaHalf of Bulgarians Will Probably Vote for MEPs

Half of Bulgarians Will Probably Vote for MEPs
Half of Bulgarians Will Probably Vote for MEPs
European Parliament Photo

If the elections for members of the European Parliament were held currently, about half of Bulgarians would probably vote, according to data from a survey of the European Parliament. That is the answer given by 71% of other EU citizens. One in three Bulgarians and 14% of the rest of the EU would not vote for MEPs, according to the poll conducted in February.

Pupils and students see the EP most positively in this country (55%), university graduates are in second place with 50%, and in the group of secondary education graduates this opinion is shared by about 40%. For 56% of EU citizens and 41% of Bulgarians it would be good for the EP to have a more important role, while 28% in the EU and 39% in Bulgaria expect the opposite.

Only 40% of people in the country express interest in MEP elections, while in the rest of the EU this share is 60%. Bulgarians aged 15-24 and those over 55 are the most disinterested. For 32% of Bulgarians personal participation in elections is very important (53% in the EU), for 43% it is important (36% in the EU) and for 23% it is not important (10% in the EU). For 49% of people in the country participation in national elections is important (69% in the EU), for 36% it is somewhat important (25% in the EU) and for 14% it is not so important (5% in the EU).

Almost half of Bulgarian citizens (48%) expect the election campaign to discuss the fight against poverty (33% in the EU) and support for the economy and the creation of new jobs (40% in Bulgaria and 31% in the EU). The largest share of respondents (47%) expect the EP to prioritize peace in the next five years. According to 33% in the EU (20% in Bulgaria), the EP should safeguard democracy. One in three Bulgarians insists on the protection of national identities (15% in the EU) and freedom of movement (12% in the EU).

Some 43% of Bulgarians have a positive view of the EP (41% in the rest of the EU), 34% have a neutral view (40% in the EU), and 20% in Bulgaria and 18% in the rest of the EU have a negative view. More than half of the Bulgarian respondents (55%) and the rest (61%) are optimistic about the EU, while 53% in Bulgaria are not following European topics (40% in the EU).

For 48% of Bulgarians and others in the EU, their voice is not heard in Europe. For half of Bulgarians and 60% of the rest of the EU, their voice is heard in their own country. For 47% in Bulgaria and 67% in the rest of the EU, their own country's voice carries weight in the EU. Half of Bulgarians (52%) and 71% of the rest of the respondents say that their country benefits from belonging to the EU.

More than half of Bulgarians (56%) are of the opinion that democracy in the country is not developing well (42% in the EU) and 42% are satisfied (56% in the EU). Bulgarians and others in the EU share a similar view of democracy in the EU: 50-52% are satisfied and 42-43% are dissatisfied.

Half of Bulgarians express a positive attitude towards China (24% in the EU) and 40% towards Russia (12% in the EU). Half of Bulgarians have a negative attitude towards the USA (47% in the EU) and a positive attitude towards Turkiye (26% in the EU).

/MT/

news.modal.header

news.modal.text

By 04:07 on 30.05.2024 Today`s news

This website uses cookies. By accepting cookies you can enjoy a better experience while browsing pages.

Accept More information