site.bta119 People Affected by Domestic Violence Received Free Legal Aid in 2025
In 2025 so far, 119 people who have suffered domestic violence, including 12 men, have received free legal aid, National Legal Aid Bureau (NLAB) Chair Natalia Ilieva said on the occasion of the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women on Tuesday.
The National Legal Aid Bureau actively works to provide legal assistance to victims of domestic violence. In 2023, a memorandum was signed between the Ministry of Justice and the NLAB on the one hand, and the Ministry of the Interior and the Bar Councils hosting regional counselling centres on the other. Under this memorandum, individuals receive legal consultations on-site within the structures of the Interior Ministry, Ilieva said.
According to NLAB data, 324 people have received consultations under this mechanism so far. In 2023, the number stood at 66, including three men; in 2024, at 139, including ten men; and in 2025 so far, at 119, including 12 men.
“In my view, saving even one human life is already a success. The time when victims remained silent has passed. More and more people are finding the strength to stand up to the abuser. And this has become possible because in recent years the State has clearly expressed its determination to address domestic violence,” Ilieva said.
She noted that only individuals who cannot afford contractual legal representation fall within the scope of the Legal Aid Act. These include people living on incomes below the poverty line or those receiving social assistance.
Asked whether it is time for more serious legislative attention to psychological violence at home or in the workplace, Ilieva said that anyone who meets the criteria for legal aid may submit an application directly to the NLAB, may obtain a consultation at a Regional Counselling Centre, and subsequently submit the application through the centre.
/КТ/
news.modal.header
news.modal.text